Fabulous Hot Cross Buns for the family
1. Combine the yeast with the milk and one tablespoon of the sugar in a small bowl, stirring until the yeast has dissolved. Cover and leave to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, salt and remaining sugar into a mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until combined.
3. Stir in the sultanas, mixed peel and egg until incorporated. Stir in the yeast mixture and just enough water to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a work surface dusted with flour and knead for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel or cling film and leave to rise in a warm spot for about one hour or until doubled in size.
5. Knock back the dough and divide into about 18-20 balls. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and leave to rise again for about 20 minutes until doubled in size.
6. Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Whisk together the flour and syrup for the topping until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag, or into a plastic bag with a small corner snipped off. Pipe a cross onto the top of each bun.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Serve warm.